Thursday, July 15, 2010

Quandary of a Police Department


Riding my bike on a cloudy evening always gives me immense pleasure. With the cool breeze hitting my face, I will always be racing against time trying my best to sneak into gallis and space between vehicles to ensure that I reach the destination as soon as possible without getting wet. Having spent most of my life in Bangalore, a cloudy evening has always been an all time gift. It was one such evening where I was racing home after office at around 8PM. I just happened to encounter a red signal at the Lalbagh west gate. Very unusual of me, I jumped the signal (had done this after months though) and to my bad luck, there was this Head Constable (HC) Sidayya waiting for me with his boss!

I was stopped right away and I promptly paid him Rs.100 upon acknowledgement of a receipt. One more individual followed me and he too was stopped; but to my surprise, he was allowed to pass through. Then was my time to protest the act of not filing against the other person. I put the stand of my bike and set out to quarrel with the HC. After a hot initial talk, the conversation turned into a discussion and the funniest part was it turning into a grievance session where the HC ended up letting out his frustrations on the traffic police operational inefficiency!

The traffic police are set daily targets of around Rs.3000 - Rs.4000 depending on the inflow of traffic in the area of operation. The night duty policemen detecting the drunken driving case have a target of Rs.5000 per night! That day, there was a high profile meeting of the politicians near the Vasavi School and hence our Siddayya and his boss were asked to do the traffic control duty on this day till 11 PM in the night though his house was 35Kms away. It was his boss’s wedding anniversary that day and he was there on the streets controlling the traffic flow since 9 in the morning! He had to literally beg his higher authorities to leave for the day as he had still not met his daily target.

Now, isn’t this frustrating! To add more to it is the fact that they are not given even a single leave in a month and they have to work for 6 days in a week after being paid peanuts! Now, where will anybody get motivation to work under such an environment? Seeing all this, our Sidayya rejected a promotion to the post of a Sub Inspector few years back. This is the current motivational level of the traffic police! This is not just the case of Siddayya or his boss here. It is the question of the entire police department. Even the area police departments have the same issue. Their targets are in terms of crimes though.

It is a basic HRM related issue which may be a bigger bomb if not addressed as soon as possible. Considering the criticality of the department, it is very important for the government officials to consider this as a high priority issue. If the issue is kept apart and one goes to think about the approach of tackling crime, it Is very shameful to see the targets set on the amount of crime done! It seems as though the basics of prevention being better than cure have been forgotten. Hope the new age policemen are allowed to have a say in things and a more intelligent system in terms of planning emerges. But I definitely praise the act of innovation of the police where they have adopted Bluetooth and other advanced technicalities for operations!

PS: Names changed for security purposes

1 comment:

  1. Magaa who said they are paid in peanuts, police departmant has a handsome salary now and lot of benifits and moreover they make allmost min. of 1K bribe per day that counts to 30K non taxable cash flow each month..

    ReplyDelete